A tanning bed can be an excellent option if you want to achieve that sun-kissed glow without stepping foot under the sun. Planet Fitness, known for its judgment-free and inclusive atmosphere, offers tanning services to its members who desire that extra touch of bronze.
Before you embark on your tanning journey, you must understand how to use a tanning bed at Planet Fitness safely and effectively to achieve the desired results. The following guide will discuss using a tanning bed at Planet Fitness. Let’s dive in and explore the world of indoor tanning together!
At Planet Fitness, tanning beds are available to members interested in obtaining a tan during their fitness routine. Before you get started, it’s crucial to familiarize yourself with the tanning process and equipment.
Tanning beds emit ultraviolet (UV) rays, similar to those from the sun, which stimulate melanin production in your skin, leading to a darker complexion. To ensure your safety and the efficacy of your tanning session, it’s vital to follow the guidelines set by Planet Fitness and take certain precautions.
This guide will provide step-by-step instructions on using a tanning bed at Planet Fitness and valuable tips on protecting your skin and achieving that sun-kissed look you desire. Let’s get ready to glow responsibly and confidently as we explore the ins and outs of tanning at Planet Fitness!
Read More: How to Tan My Legs Quickly in The Sun?
What is a Tanning Bed?
A tanning bed, also known as a sunbed or sun tanning bed, is a device that emits ultraviolet (UV) radiation to artificially darken the skin and provide a tan. People who want to look tanned without spending much time in natural sunlight primarily use these beds for cosmetic purposes.
Tanning beds use UV lamps that emit both UVA and UVB radiation. UVA rays penetrate the skin’s deeper layers. They are responsible for the immediate darkening effect, while UVB rays affect the outer layer of the skin and trigger the production of melanin, the pigment responsible for skin color. Some tanning beds have predominantly UVA light, while others have a mix of UVA and UVB rays.
It’s important to note that tanning bed use has been associated with several health risks, particularly due to overexposure to UV radiation. These risks include:
- Skin damage: UV radiation can lead to premature skin ageing, causing wrinkles, sunspots, and other signs of sun damage.
- Skin cancer: Tanning beds increase the risk of skin cancer, including melanoma, the most dangerous form.
- Eye damage: Exposure to UV rays from tanning beds can harm the eyes, leading to conditions like cataracts and eye irritation.
- Weakened immune system: Overexposure to UV radiation can suppress the immune system, making the body more vulnerable to infections and illnesses.
- Sunburn: Using tanning beds excessively can cause painful sunburns similar to those caused by natural sunlight.
What is Planet Fitness?
Planet Fitness is a chain of fitness centres (gyms) in the United States. It is one of the country’s largest and most popular fitness franchises, with locations across all 50 states.
Planet Fitness is known for its unique fitness approach and mission to create a non-intimidating and judgment-free environment for people of all fitness levels.
They use the slogan “Judgment Free Zone” to promote their welcoming atmosphere, where individuals can feel comfortable and confident regardless of their exercise experience or physical fitness level. Some key features and characteristics of Planet Fitness include:
- Low-Cost Memberships: Planet Fitness aims to be an affordable option for individuals looking to join a gym. They offer various membership plans, including basic and premium tiers, with the basic plan often being priced competitively.
- No Gymtimidation: One of the core principles of Planet Fitness is to eliminate “intimidation,” which refers to the feeling of intimidation or discomfort that some people may experience when going to a gym. The staff and members are encouraged to create a supportive and inclusive atmosphere.
- Equipment: Planet Fitness facilities typically offer a range of cardio machines, strength training equipment, and free weights to cater to various workout preferences.
- Black Card Membership: In addition to the standard membership, Planet Fitness offers a premium “Black Card” membership that includes additional benefits like access to all Planet Fitness locations, guest privileges, and perks like tanning and massage chairs.
- Group Fitness Classes: Some Planet Fitness locations also offer group fitness classes, allowing members to engage in instructor-led workouts.
How to Use a Tanning Bed at Planet Fitness?
The World Health Organization (WHO) has classified tanning beds as a Group 1 carcinogen, which means they are known to cause cancer in humans. It’s crucial to prioritize your health and consider alternative ways to achieve a tan, such as using self-tanning lotions or sprays. If you’re looking to achieve a tanned appearance, consider the following alternatives:
- Self-Tanning Products: Use self-tanning lotions, sprays, or mousses to safely darken your skin without exposure to harmful UV radiation.
- Bronzers: Bronzing powders and creams can provide a temporary tan effect without UV exposure.
- Sunless Tanning Services: Some salons offer sunless tanning services, like spray tanning, which can give you a temporary tan without UV exposure.
- Natural Sunlight: If you want a natural tan, limit your exposure to the sun and always wear sunscreen to protect your skin from harmful UV rays.
What are the important tips for protecting your skin?
Protecting your skin is essential for maintaining health and preventing various skin issues. Here are some tips to help you protect your skin:
Sunscreen is crucial for protecting your skin from harmful UV rays, which can cause sunburn, premature ageing, and increase the risk of skin cancer. Choose a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30, and apply it generously on all exposed skin before going outside. Reapply every two hours or more frequently if swimming or sweating.
Limit sun exposure during peak hours when the sun’s rays are the strongest (usually between 10 am and 4 pm). Seek shade under trees, umbrellas, or protective clothing.
Wear protective clothing, such as long-sleeved shirts, wide-brimmed hats, and sunglasses, to shield your skin from the sun.
Avoid Tanning Beds
Tanning beds emit harmful UV rays and increase the risk of skin cancer. It’s best to avoid them altogether.
Proper hydration is essential for maintaining healthy skin. Drink plenty of water daily to keep your skin hydrated and supple.
Use Gentle Products
Avoid harsh chemicals and abrasive skincare products that irritate your skin. Opt for gentle, fragrance-free, and non-comedogenic products suitable for your skin type.
Moisturizing helps to lock in moisture and maintain your skin’s natural barrier. Choose a moisturizer suitable for your skin type and apply it daily, especially after showering or bathing.
Smoking damages collagen and elastin, leading to premature ageing and an increased risk of skin cancer. Quitting smoking can significantly improve your skin’s health and appearance.
Maintain a Healthy Diet
A balanced diet of fruits, vegetables, and omega-3 fatty acids can promote healthy skin. Antioxidant-rich foods can help protect your skin from free radical damage.
Chronic stress can affect your skin’s health. Practice stress-reducing techniques like meditation, yoga, or hobbies that bring you joy.
Keep Showers Short and Lukewarm
Long, hot showers can strip your skin of its natural oils, leading to dryness. Keep showers short and use lukewarm water instead of hot.
Be Gentle with Your Skin
Avoid scrubbing your skin too vigorously, and pat it dry after washing instead of rubbing. Be gentle with any skincare routines or treatments.
Check Your Skin Regularly
Keep an eye on any changes in your skin, such as new moles, growths, or existing ones. If you notice anything unusual, consult a dermatologist promptly.
How do you use a tanning bed for beginners?
Using a tanning bed as a beginner requires caution and adherence to safety guidelines. First, choose a reputable tanning salon with trained staff who can guide you. Begin with a short session, typically 3-5 minutes, to assess your skin’s sensitivity. Wear protective eye wear to shield your eyes during the process. Apply a tanning lotion designed for indoor use to enhance the results and moisturize your skin. Gradually increase the session duration, but avoid consecutive days to prevent overexposure. Remember to hydrate your skin after each session, and always monitor your skin for any signs of irritation. If you have health concerns or skin conditions, consult a medical professional before using a tanning bed.
What is the proper way to use a tanning bed?
Using a tanning bed properly involves following safety guidelines to minimize potential risks. Firstly, ensure you are eligible to use the bed, as certain skin types and medical conditions may be contraindicated. Wear protective eye wear to shield your eyes from harmful UV rays. Start with a short session, gradually increasing exposure time to avoid burning. Apply appropriate sunscreen to sensitive areas. Never exceed recommended tanning times; allow at least 48 hours between sessions to prevent overexposure. Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions and consult a healthcare professional. Remember, moderation and caution are key to safely using a tanning bed.
How do you turn on a tanning bed?
To turn on a tanning bed, locate the power switch or button near the control panel or on the side of the bed. Make sure the bed is plugged into a working electrical outlet. Press or toggle the power switch to the “On” position, and the tanning bed’s lights and fans should start operating. Some tanning beds might have a separate switch for the face tanner, which you can activate if desired. Once the bed is powered on, you can adjust the session time and other settings using the control panel and then lay down on the bed to begin your tanning session. Remember to follow the manufacturer’s guidelines and use tanning goggles to protect your eyes during the process.
Are the tanning beds good at Planet Fitness?
However, tanning beds are traditionally not considered “good” for your skin’s health. Excessive use of tanning beds can increase the risk of skin cancer and premature ageing due to exposure to harmful UV radiation. It is generally recommended to avoid using tanning beds and instead opt for safer alternatives like self-tanning lotions or sprays if you desire a tan appearance. Always prioritize your skin’s health and consult a dermatologist for personalized advice. We recommend checking their official website or contacting them directly for current information on Planet Fitness services, including their tanning facilities.
Read More: How to Tell if Tanning Bed Bulbs are Bad?